I originally began looking into essential oils after my daughters were born. I use them daily for skin issues, relaxation, teething, or anything else they may need at the moment. I would love to say they sit right down without hesitation, but that is not the case. They are far too curious and busy to stop exploring their world, so I have resorted creative application techniques. Here are some great ways to get the benefits of essential oils without the fight.
- Spray your essential oil mixture on their favorite teddy bear, blanket, or pillow. This is a great way to use your sleepy time sprays.
- Make a lotion that is especially for them. Morgan and Avery love to put on their lotion at night when I do. Lotion bars are a great way to accomplish this without the mess. Wellness Mama has an easy three ingredient recipe . You can add the essential oils of your choice. While you’re at it, make a batch. These make great gifts!
- Put your mixture in a roller bottle so they can color on their arms, legs, and feet. This is a great way to work on dexterity with your younger children.
- Make essential oil playdough and let them get creative. If you want colorful use natural food dyes like beets, blueberries, or turmeric and leave the synthetic food coloring out. Small Potatoes has a great playdough recipe, if you prefer a gluten-free version check out this recipe from The Celiac Family.
- If your child is older get a diffuser necklace or bracelet. This is a great idea for school aged children. These accessories are fun to wear and allow them to benefit from the oils throughout the day.
- Make an essential oil lip balm that can be applied as needed throughout the day. Healthy Living How To has the recipe, substitute an oil of your choice or use lemon!
- Incorporate essential oils into bath time with these fun bath bombs. This is a great DIY recipe, but like before I would opt to leave out the food coloring. You’ll find this recipe on Wholesome Mommy.
Since discovering essential oils I have not looked back. I use them everyday and have never been afraid to use them on my children. That being said, I will only use and recommend Young Living’s 100% pure, therapeutic grade essential oils (where to buy). In addition, I researched and educated myself regarding the appropriate oils to use and how they are best applied. For the record, I never allow my children access to any essential oils unsupervised. Lastly, I always dilute any oils I use on my children 1:30, meaning one drop essential oil to 30 drops carrier oil. I do not doubt that you all have a great deal of common sense, this goes a long way when using essential oils. Only you know what is best for your child so always trust your gut.
If you are new to essential oils or are considering them for your children I would recommend the Gentle Babies book by Debra Raybern. This book has all the information you need to incorporate essential oils into your child’s life wisely. There is a lot of information out there, good and bad, so it is important to thoroughly understand your school of thought and conduct your research using a reputable source. Also important is choosing a team that will provide you with the support, education, and constant contact you need and deserve. New to Young Living or searching for an amazing team? Consider Living Brighter, we are always here to help. I hope you enjoyed discovering new ways to make being oily a little more fun!